- Projects & Grants
- National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA)
National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA)
National Consortium for Teaching about Asia: Resources for Educators and Students at FIU
A nationwide professional development program for K-12 teachers to encourage teaching and learning about Asia.
Asian Studies at FIU has served as a host of the NCTA program for the ten southern counties in the state of Florida. For many years, this project provided K-12 educators an ideal introduction to Asian culture, history, and society to learn how to infuse Asian materials into their classrooms. Asian Studies hosted seminars during the academic year and the summer term on East Asian history, religion, international and political affairs, geography, literature, and culture. It consisted of 30-hours seminars, additional activities at FIU, and dissemination of Asian culture to the community in South Florida. K-12 educators gained knowledge and appreciation for traditional and contemporary history and culture of East Asia, a region whose dynamism and vibrancy is sure to bring great insight to our world today.
Register for the NCTA Seminar (2022)
- Exploring East Asian culture and the relation between traditional and modern thought in the context of globalized social history.
- Applying this knowledge about Asia to specific and original lesson plans for incorporation into each teacher participants’ curriculum.
Benefits to Participants:
- Instruction of contemporary culture and society of East Asia
- Master plan credit and/or course credit available (where applicable)
- In-Service Points available for Broward and Dade County teachers
- Creation of lesson plans infusing Asia into the curriculum through the use of Asian cultural and historical resources
Resources for Educators:
- Asia for Educators (AFE), Columbia University
- Expanding East Asian Studies (ExEAS),Columbia University
- Stanford Project for International and Cross-Cultural Education (SPICE),Stanford University
- Silk Road, University of Kansas
- JapaNet, former Florida International University Project
Join our FIU-NCTA Facebook page.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Visit the NCTA national site: NCTA National Site
For additional activities and events in Asian Studies, please click here.