Minor in Asian Studies
This program is designed with an interdisciplinary approach to Asian Studies. This 15 credit minor supports specialized focuses such as area, comparative, or language studies. It prepares students interested in careers in international business, state or federal government, foreign affairs, and education, and more.
If you are pursuing a Major in Asian Studies, you are not eligible to pursue a Minor in Asian Studies.
Program Requirements (15 credits)
A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses (C- is not acceptable).
Required Course: (3 credits)
- ASN 3410 Introduction to East Asia (Satisfies UCC - Social Science Group 2, Global Learning, and Gordon Rule requirements for FIU)
Electives: (12 credits)
Students must select 12 elective credits from interdisciplinary, upper division (3000 level or higher) courses with emphasis on Asia. Students are encouraged to take language courses, participate in the study abroad programs, and internships. Up to six (6) credits of language may be accepted towards the minor.
The following courses represent a partial list of courses accepted to fulfill this requirement. Please speak with an advisor for a complete list of acceptable courses.
All courses with the ASN prefix are applicable:
- ASN 3016 China Then and Now
- ASN 3125 Spirituality of Japan
- ASN 3143 Corporate Culture of China
- ASN 3153 Topics in Korean Culture
- ASN 3154 Traditional and Modern Korea
- ASN 3200 Asian Through Film
- ASN 3202 Japanese Anime and Manga
- ASN 3329 Women in Asian Society
- ASN 3403 Zen and the Art of Tea Ceremony
- ASN 3414 Visual Cultures of East Asia
- ASN 3503 Exploring East Asia: Virtual Reality Travel
- ASN 3931 Special Topics in Asian Studies
- ASN 3993 K-Pop and J-Pop Culture
- ASN 4111 Japan and the New East
- ASN 4390 Modern Asia
- ASN 4404 Zen and the Art of Tea Ceremony II
- ASN 4510 Dynamics of Asia
- ASN 4810 East Asian Text in Translation
- ASN 4913 Research in Japanese Studies
Sample course list of interdisciplinary studies with focus on Asia:
- ASH 3380 Consumer Culture in Asia
- ASH 3440 History of Japan
- ASH 4300 East Asian Civilization
- CPO 4507 Comparative Political Economy of Asia
- ECS 3200 Economics of Asia
- ECS 3003 Comparative Economic Systems
- INR 3081 Contemporary International Problems
- INR 3223 Japan and the US
- INR 3225 International Relations of East Asia
- JPN 3500 Japanese Culture and Society (Discipline-Specific Global Learning)
- REL 3308 Studies in World Religions (UCC Foundations OR Discipline-Specific Global Learning)
- REL 3310 Introduction to Asian Religions
- REL 3316 Healing in Asian Religions
- SYD 4412 Cities in Asia
- SYD 4451 Japanese Society in Global Perspective (Discipline-Specific Global Learning)
NOTE: Only six (6) credits may be shared between the Asian Studies Minor and certain Asian Studies undergraduate certificates (i.e. Chinese Studies, Japanese Studies, Asian Globalization and Latin America, and/or South and Southeast Asia Studies).