- In Spring 2018, the Asian Studies Graduate Student Organization hosted a Publishing Workshop where students learned how to make their academic papers publishable. Workshop Speaker for the event was PhD candidate Zenel Garcia. Benefits of publications include the following:
- Academic Job Qualification
- Research Experience
Graduate Student Conference
- In Spring 2018, the Asian Studies Graduate Student Organization hosted a Graduate Student Conference where four M.A. Asian Studies students presented research on their masters essay/thesis topics.
- "To Balance or Bandwagon? China's Monopoly over the Mekong River and the Responses from Downstream States"
- Phillip Guerreiro
- "Chiyo-ni and Yukinobu: History and Recognition of Japanese Women Artists"
- Kara Medema
- "The Impact of Beauty Culture in South Korea: A Society Geared Toward Physical Appearance"
- Ashley Webb
- "The Making of Chinese Art: A Study of Charles Lang Freer's Collecting Activities and Art Collection"
- Yiqin Sun
(left to right) Kara Medema, Phillip Guerreiro, Dr. Steven Heine, Ashley Webb, and Yiqin Sun
Graduate Student Conference and Alumni Reception
- In Fall 2017, the Asian Studies Graduate Student Organization hosted a Graduate Student Conference and Alumni Reception where three M.A. Asian Studies students presented on their thesis topics.
- “Zen Master Dögen's (1200-1253) Enlightenment Experience: A Text-Historical and Linguistic Analysis of Traditional and Modern Sources"
- Katrina Ankrum, Respondent: Dr. Steven Heine
- "Monstrous Maternity: Folkloric Expressions of the Feminine in Images of the Ubume"
- Michaela Prostak, Respondent: Lisa Brown
- "Student Movements in Japan: A Historical Analysis"
- Carlos Aponte, Respondent: Zenel Garcia
(left to right) Lisa Brown, Michaela Prostak, Katrina Ankrum, Dr. Steven Heine, Carlos Aponte, and Zenel Garcia
Learn How to Conference Successfully
- In Fall 2015, the Asian Studies Alumni and Friends hosted the How to Conference Successfully Workshop, teaching students and Asian Studies alumni how to:
- Find Conferences
- Prepare and Submit Proposals
- Get Funding