The certificate in Chinese Studies provides a multidisciplinary approach covering the philosophy, religion, art history, and literature of China as well as issues in history, politics, geography, sociology/anthropology, and international relations. The program is intended to enhance degree-seeking student's competitiveness upon graduation. This certificate is only available to degree-seeking students.
This certificate is not available for fully online degree seeking students.
Requirements (18 Credits)
A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses (C- is not acceptable).
- 4 semesters of Chinese Language (up to 12 credits can apply toward certificate)
- Two courses in Chinese or East Asian area studies (6 credits)
- Students may receive credits through study abroad or internship programs.
Chinese Language Course Offerings
- CHI 1130 Chinese I
- CHI 1131 Chinese II
- CHI 2200 Intermediate Chinese I
- CHI 2201 Intermediate Chinese II
- CHI 3400 Intermediate Chinese Conversation
- CHI 3410 Advanced Chinese I
- CHI 3440 Business Chinese
Chinese or East Asian area studies Course Offerings
All courses with the ASN prefix are applicable
- Courses focused on Chinese or East Asian History, Art History, Religion, Sociology/Anthropology, Politics, Economics, Geography, and International Relations.
Some examples include:
- ARH 4552 Arts of China and Japan
- ARH 4557 Contemporary Chinese Art
- ARH 4553 A Social History of Chinese Painting
- ASH 3380 Consumer Culture in Asia
- ASH 4300 East Asian Civilization
- ASH 4384 History of Women in Asia
- ASH 4404 History of China
- CHT 3502 Chinese Culture and Society
- CPO 4507 Comparative Political Economics of Asia
- CPO 4541 Politics of China
- ECS 3200 Economics of Asia
- INR 4232 International Relations of China
- INR 4707 The Political Economy of China
- REL 3308 Studies in World Religions
- REL 3310 Introduction to Asian Religions
- REL 3316 Healing in Asian Religions
- SYD 4412 Cities in Asia
For a complete list of available courses, see the Complete List of Courses. If you have any questions about a particular course, please email email@example.com