Chinese Area Studies Major
NEW Chinese Area Studies Major
This is a new 36 credit, interdisciplinary major in Chinese Area Studies, which is a branch of the Asian Studies B.A. degree and will be offered beginning in Fall 2014. The major, which emphasizes Chinese language and culture as well as other courses in area studies, caps off the development of programs in Chinese language and non-language courses.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in all courses required for the major. A grade of "C-" or lower is NOT acceptable in any required course. This is a university rule as stated in the Undergraduate Catalog under the College of Arts and Sciences.
Core Requirements (6 credits)
- ASN 3410 Intro to East Asia
- ASN 4510 Dynamics of Asia OR ASN 4390 Modern Asia (Capstone)
Chinese/Area Studies Electives (27 credits)
Choose four courses (12 credits) from the following approved list of Chinese-specific courses:
- ASH 4404 History of China
- ASN 3016 Introduction to China
- CHI 4930 Chinese Literature and Cinema
- CHT 3502 Chinese Culture and Society
- CPO 4541 Politics of China
- INR 4232 International Relations of China
- INR 4707 Political Economy of China
- REL 3318 Chinese Religion and Culture
- SYD 4654 State and Society in China
Choose three courses (9 credits) from the following approved list of Asian Area Studies Electives courses:
- ARH 4552 Art of China & Japan
- ARH 4990 Contemporary Chinese Art
- ASH 4300 East Asian Civilizations and Cultures
- ASN 4810 East Asian Texts in Translation
- ASN 3200 Asia Through Film
- CPO 4507 Comparative Political Economy of Asia
- EDF 4954 Art Education Abroad in China
- INR 3224 International Relations of East Asia
- REL 3310 Introduction to Asian Religions
- REL 3314 Religions of the Silk Road
- REL 4311 Religious Classics of Asia
NOTE: Please see an advisor for other approved courses.
Language Courses (9 credits of Level 3 or higher)
Students complete three courses (9 credits) from the list below. CHI 1130 Chinese I and CHI 1131 Chinese II are prerequisites and do not count towards the BA in Asian Studies, Chinese Area Studies major.
- CHI 2200 Intermediate Chinese I
- CHI 2201 Intermediate Chinese II
- CHI 3400 Intermediate Chinese Conversation
- CHI 3410 Advanced Chinese I
- CHI 3440 Business Chinese
If you would like to track your progress in the BA Program, a checklist for degree progress is available in the Asian Studies office or here.