This is a 36 credit, interdisciplinary major in Japanese Area Studies, which is a branch of the Asian Studies B.A. degree. The major, which emphasizes Japanese language and culture as well as other courses in area studies, caps off the development of programs in Japanese language and non-language courses.
Major Requirements (36 credits)
Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in all courses required for the major. A grade of "C-" or lower is NOT acceptable in any required course. This is a university rule as stated in the Undergraduate Catalog under the Steven J. Green School of International and Public Affairs.
If you would like to track your progress in the BA Program, a checklist for degree progress is available.
Core Requirements (9 credits)
- ASN 3410 Introduction to East Asia
- ASH 3440 History of Japan
- JPN 3500 Japanese Culture and Society
Capstone/Seminar Courses (6 credits)
Please select two courses from the following list (or equivalent):
- ASH 4300 East Asian Civilizations
- ASN 4390 Modern Asia
- ASN 4510 Dynamics of Asia
Japanese/Area Studies Electives (9 credits)
Choose three (3) courses from the approved list of Asian Studies courses.
Language Courses (12 credits of Level 3 or higher)
Students complete three years of Japanese language. Select four courses (12 credits) from the list below of intermediate and advanced Japanese language courses (2000 level or above). First year language courses (JPN 1130 Japanese I and JPN 1131 Japanese II) are prerequisites and do not count towards the BA in Asian Studies, Japanese Area Studies major.
If a student can demonstrate proficiency at this level, additional area studies courses would be required); advanced language courses can fulfill the elective requirements.
- JPN 2200 Intermediate Japanese I
- JPN 2201 Intermediate Japanese II
- JPN 3000 Japanese Calligraphy
- JPN 3242 Intermediate Japanese Conversation
- JPN 3243 Advanced Japanese Composition
- JPN 3400 Advanced Japanese I
- JPN 3401 Advanced Japanese II
- JPN 3412 Advanced Japanese Conversation
If you have any advising questions or a question about a specific course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.