The certificate in South and Southeast Asia Area Studies provides a multidisciplinary approach covering the philosophy, religion, art history, and literature of South and Southeast Asia as well as issues in history, politics, geography, sociology/anthropology, and international relations. The program is intended to enhance degree-seeking student's competitiveness upon graduation. This certificate is only available to degree-seeking students.
This certificate is not available for fully online degree seeking students.
Requirements (18 Credits)
A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses (C- is not acceptable).
- South and Southeast Asian regional studies courses (18 credits)
- Students may receive credits through study abroad or internship programs.
Students are to choose from the courses listed below with the approval of the Director. These courses represent a partial list; students should consult with an adviser for the certificate program about current course offerings and a full list of courses accepted for the certificate.
- ASH 4384 History of Women in Asia
- ASN 3015 South Asian Culture
- EUH 4520 England in the 18th Century
- ECS 3021 Women, Culture, and Economic Development
- ECS 3200 Economics of Asia
- EVR 3402 Asian Environmental Issues
- FIN 3652 Asian Financial Markets and Institutions
- INR 3081 Contemporary International Problems
- INR 3227 International Relations of South Asia
- INR 4082 Islam in International Relations
- LIT 4197 Global Asian Literature
- PHH 3810 Philosophy of Buddhism
- PHH 3840 Indian Philosophy
- REL 3026 Folk Religions in Asia and the World
- REL 3310 Introduction to Asian Religions
- REL 3316 Healing in Asian Religions
- REL 3330 Religions of India
- REL 3336 Intro to Jainism
- REL 3399 The Art of Yoga and Meditation
- REL 4312 Jews of Asia
- REL 3340 Survey of Buddhism
- SYA 3810 Gender and Power in Asia
- No specific language requirement, although it is recommended. Sanskrit courses may be available online, please check with an advisor. If you have any questions about a particular course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.